Cheeseburger pie is the perfect and quick combination of our favorite cheeseburger flavors. All that's missing is the bun, but you'll never miss it. The bun is replaced with a flaky and easy to make crust. This recipe comes together quickly and is the perfect dinner when everyone feels like burgers, but no one wants to grill outside.
Pat in the Pan Crust
This recipe is a great example of making a meal from scratch without spending more than an hour in the kitchen. The filling for quick cheeseburger pie is easy to prepare. The crust comes together quickly. It's all good! In the recipe, I suggest using a pastry blender to combine the ingredients, but your hands can do just as a good a job. Another plus about using your hands, it makes it easy to know right away if you've added enough water for the dough to hold together.
You'll want to crust to be a bit thicker than the crust we make when we prepare pies. This crust needs to be fairly thick and sturdy. It's going to hold all those wonderful cheeseburger pie ingredients. But be assured, the crust will be turn out perfectly flaky.
This recipe was inspired from one I found in the Alpha Bakery Children's Cookbook. It was a gift to my daughter from her Grammy (my mother-in-law) for Christmas in 1999. Thanks to the many years of regular use, it truly is a crinkled cookbook in our collection.
Here are the quick steps to make this an easy meal to take on the road. Just a few prep steps the day before you leave in the RV and you'll be set. Keep the filling ingredients refrigerated or in an ice chest until you are ready to assemble the ingredients.
- Cook the meat and prepare the filling ingredients, pretty much everything in step #4 on the recipe card under "Instructions." But, instead of placing the filling in the baked crust, scoop it into a nonbreakable storage container and refrigerate.
- Combine the crust ingredients - except the shortening. Place in a small, airtight container or plastic storage bag.
- Pack ½ cup shortening and 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Once set up in camp, prepare the pat-in-the-pan crust and bake.
- Assemble the pie as directed in the recipe. Note, your cooking time may be slightly longer since the filling ingredients were prepared ahead and refrigerated.
- Enjoy an easy, made from scratch meal in camp!