Fancy Rice Krispy Treats taste similar to an orange creamsicle and are perfect anytime you need a fast dessert or a quick after school treat. It only takes about 15 minutes to put these together. I've added chopped walnuts, dried cranberries, vanilla extract and orange zest to give them a wonderful and "fancy" touch. Everyone loves these!
Note: Links in the recipe are paid links, Amazon Associates. This means I make a small commission when you click and shop. Your cost is the same and I only link to products or ingredients that I use and love.
Easy to Make
I hesitate to call this a recipe since it's SO easy and is inspired by a treat we've all made a million times. Rice Krispie Treats. But the combination of flavors in this version makes this a very special treat. It's yummy enough to serve for the holidays and best of all, these are so kid-friendly! The orange-vanilla-cranberry essence is something that's delicious all year long. Special hat tip to my son Kyle who came up with the idea to add the orange zest to this recipe. Delicious! Give it a try and be sure to rate the recipe below.
Ingredients to Have on Hand
These are the ingredients I keep in my pantry, especially during the holidays, so I can put this together quickly and be ready any time a treat is called for.
Mini-Marshmallows, 2 10 ounce bags
You can. I've tried it both ways and I personally prefer the texture that comes from melting the marshmallows on the stove with the butter on low heat. But marshmallow cream, which you buy in a jar, works fine. You can substitute the mini-marshmallows in this recipe with about 10 ounces of marshmallow creme, which is about a jar and a half if you buy 7 ounce jars.
How to Store
Fancy Rice Krispie Treats stay fresh and delicious for 3-5 days at room temperature. Just cover your pan lightly with plastic wrap or remove each square and place in a zipped plastic storage bag. Use waxed paper to separate each layer. You can also freeze these treats. Just cut into squares, layer with plastic wrap or waxed paper and store in an airtight container in the freezer. Defrost at room temperature for a few hours and enjoy.
Looking for more ideas? Here's another kid-friendly dessert: Peanut Butter Cookies these are chewy, tender and delicious... and not just for kids.
Fancy Rice Krispy Treats
- 1/2 cup butter
- 15 ounces mini marshmallows - about one and a half 10 ounce bags
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts plus 1 tablespoon for the topping
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries plus 2 tablespoons for the topping
- 1 teaspoon orange peel zest
- 7 cups Rice Krispy cereal
- Grease a 13" x 9" baking dish (or spray with Pam)
- On the stovetop, melt butter in large saucepan, add one and a half bags mini marshmallows. Stir over low heat until marshmallows are melted and smooth. Remove from heat and add salt, vanilla extract, chopped walnuts, dried cranberries and orange zest. Stir until combined. Add 7 cups of Rice Krispy cereal and stir until combined. Spread cereal mixture into baking dish and sprinkle reserved walnuts and dried cranberries on top, pat the mixture down using a small piece of waxed paper sprayed with Pam to prevent sticking.
Please note, the nutrition details are estimated using a food database and are offered here only as a guideline for informational purposes.