Homemade Tomato Basil Soup is thick and full of flavor thanks to oven-roasted tomatoes, garlic and onions. Made from scratch soup is the best, hands down and this recipe is proof. Any variety of fresh tomatoes will work, but I think Roma tomatoes provide a nice sturdy base. Make it tonight and let me know what you think.
Note: The links you find on this page are paid links, Amazon Associates. That means I make a small commission when you click and shop. Your cost is the same and I only link to products or ingredients that I use and love.
It's easy to think that a made from scratch soup is too much work, or would take too much time. Not the case at all! You must, must give this a try. The big secret to the amazing flavor is to just oven roast the tomatoes, garlic and onions. So easy. As for equipment, it does help a lot if you have an immersion blender.
Ingredients for Tomato Basil Soup
- Roma tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2, 28 ounce cans crushed tomatoes with basil
- 1, 32 ounce carton organic vegetable broth
- Fresh basil
- Cayenne pepper
- Heavy whipping cream
The best part about making this soup is the aroma. Truly, the delicious scents that will fill your kitchen and home while the tomatoes, garlic and onions are roasting, are nothing short of divine.
This recipe was inspired from so many different online and cookbook recipes for tomato basil soup, it's hard to figure out how to give credit where it's due. But I can't wait to hear what you think of this recipe. Oven roasting the tomatoes, onions and garlic makes all the difference. Serve with crackers, grilled cheese sandwiches, sourdough bread or a fresh salad. Let me know what you think!
Tomato Basil Soup
- 10 Roma tomatoes cut in half
- 5 garlic cloves about two tablespoons of chopped garlic
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2, 28 ounce cans crushed tomatoes with basil I use Muir Glen organic brand
- 1, 32 ounce carton of organic vegetable broth
- 1 cup fresh basil roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper to taste, or leave it out because this adds noticeable "kick" to your soup
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Dried basil and grated parmesan cheese for garnish.
- Preheat oven to 450°
- Spray a 13 x 9 baking sheet with Pam. Place tomatoes, garlic and onions on the baking sheet and brush with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Bake for 45-60 minutes in hot oven or until everything is roasted and sizzling and tomatoes have started to blister. (The cooking time will be shorter if you use a different variety of tomatoes. But either way, this smells SO great while it's roasting in the oven!)
- Combine all ingredients except whipping cream in a large stock pot, use an immersion blender and mix everything together to create the perfect tomato soup texture. Bring to a low boil, reduce heat and allow to simmer for 20-30 minutes. Add whipping cream and heat gently before serving. Garnish with dried or fresh basil and grated parmesan cheese.
Please note, the nutrition details are estimated using a food database and are offered here only as a guideline for informational purposes.