Tomato-Cream Sauce is a made from scratch red sauce easy enough to whip up any time, even on a work night. It's seasoned just right, even though you won't need to re-stock your spice rack to make it. Spoon it over store-bought tortellini or ravioli and elevate the presentation of a quick meal.
Note: Links in the recipe are paid links, Amazon Associates. This means I make a small commission when you click and shop. Your cost is the same and I only link to and recommend things or ingredients that I use or love.
The Best Red Sauce
The secret to the flavor and texture with this red sauce is canned tomatoes, but not just any kind. You must use fire roasted, canned tomatoes. The fire roasting adds so much rich flavor. If you haven't tried this type of canned tomatoes yet, give 'em a go. They are game changers when it comes to creating a delicous base for your red sauce.
Yes! Although onions have a slightly more robust taste than shallots, they come pretty close. And the texture is very similar. I recommend using a small yellow onion if you don't have a shallot on hand. Shallots are a bit more mild than onions, so you may notice a slight difference in how the sauce tastes. For the best results, dice the onion into very, very small pieces, just as you would if you were dicing a shallot.
My family loves this red sauce and I have a feeling this will become your go-to "marinara" for spaghetti and meatballs, lasagna or any pasta dish that needs a red sauce. It's light on the cream, but big on flavor.
How to Blend the Ingredients
If you don't have an immersion blender yet, this recipe for Tomato-Cream Sauce is a good prompt to get one. You just might be surprised by how often you use it. It's so handy. I went for years without one and I don't know how I got by without it in my kitchen.
- immersion Blender
- 1 shallot sliced and diced
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3, 14.5 ounce cans fire roasted, diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup half and half
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan on the stove, add shallot and garlic and cook until softened and fragrant. Add 3 cans fire roasted diced tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for a few minutes.
- Lower heat and use an immersion blender to combine the ingredients and create a smooth sauce. Return to medium heat and bring to a low boil. Remove from heat, add parmesan cheese and half and half.
- Serve right away over your favorite pasta.
Please note, the nutrition details are estimated using a food database and are offered here only as a guideline for informational purposes.