If you love the taste of corn dogs but don't love the guilt from enjoying those deep fried treats then Corn Dog Nuggets are what you've been waiting for. This recipe blends the flavors and textures of traditional corn dogs, but in bite-sized, oven-baked portions that are absolutely delicious. You and your family will love these.
If you've been a friend of the Crinkled Cookbook for long, you KNOW how much I love to use frozen puff pastry dough. Such as Brie & Cranberry Bites, so good.
This recipe is another example of how versatile that pastry dough can be, although here it takes "second fiddle" to the familiar flavor combination from the cornmeal and the hotdogs. This recipe has been fondly adapted from a well-used recipe card in my mother-in-law Odessa's collection. Her recipe was for traditional, deep fried corn dogs which I'm told were delicious. Be sure to rate the recipe below and let me know what you think!
Corn Dog Nuggets
- 6 hot dogs use your favorite brand
- 1 cup Bisquick
- 1/4 cup yellow corn meal
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons dry ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1, 17.3 ounce package frozen puff pastry sheets
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary diced into very small sections, stems removed
- Remove one puff pastry from the box (save the other one for the next time you make this) and defrost the pastry, it takes about 40 minutes. Dice hot dogs into small bite-sized portions. You'll end up using about 8 sections of hot dog in each mini-baking cup.
- Preheat oven to 400° for a 24-cup mini-muffin baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine Bisquick, cornmeal, egg, milk and seasonings. Whisk to combine, then allow to set for a few minutes to thicken while you prepare the puff pastry for the baking sheet.
- Once pastry is thawed, cut dough into 2 inch squares and press one square into each mini muffin cup - you'll have just enough dough for a 24 mini-cup baking pan.
- Place 1/2 tsp of the Biquick/cornmeal mixture on top the pastry dough in each mini-baking cup. Then place 8 small wedges of hot dog on top of the cornmeal mixture, pressing firmly to fit. On top of each cup filled with hot dog pieces, dollop a small amount of additional Bisquick/cornmeal batter (about 1/4 tsp for each muffin cup). Place mini-muffin pan in oven and bake for about 14 minutes.
- Once the top of each muffin cup is golden brown and firm, remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle the entire baking pan with about 2 tbsp of finely diced fresh rosemary. The heat from the piping hot baking pan will help infuse the rosemary flavor, without making it overwhelming. Allow the rosemary to sit for a minute or two.
- Remove corn dog nuggets from the pan and serve immediately with mustard and ketchup for dipping.
Please note, the nutrition details are estimated using a food database and are offered here only as a guideline for informational purposes.